Michael V. Nakamura
Michael V. Nakamura is an experienced and compassionate lawyer committed to achieving justice for his clients, primarily those who have suffered devastating injuries as the result of the negligence of others.
Clients often come to Mike when they are confused, intimidated or overwhelmed by the legal process, and are unsure about their rights as a victim. As a result, Mike is often hired because of his calming manner and willingness to take the time to explain the legal process. This comforting patience coupled with more than 20 years experience in protecting and enforcing victims’ rights in situations involving personal injury, wrongful death, and medical malpractice, makes Mike an ideal choice for many clients.
Mike has a national practice with noteworthy experience in catastrophic motor vehicle accidents, wrongful death cases of all kinds and brain-damaged baby cases, both in state and federal courts. He also has handled many Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) and Military Claims Act (MCA) cases, successfully representing family members of armed service personnel who were injured by medical malpractice at military hospitals in the U.S. and overseas. He has significant jury trial and bench trial experience, and is skilled in mediation and negotiated settlements. His past experience as a judicial law clerk and as a business litigation attorney encompassing a wide range of legal areas serves his clients well in the balanced evaluation of legal issues, including insurance coverage disputes, consumer protection cases, automobile dealer-manufacturer issues, and other business litigation.
As an authority in the fields of personal injury, wrongful death, and medical malpractice, he has served as a moderator or speaker at countless seminars. He has also appeared on several local television programs on such topics as dog bite liability, gun liability and premises liability.
As a testament to Mike’s integrity and sound judgment, he is one of a few individuals selected to serve on the Character Committee of the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals of Maryland, the court-appointed group of volunteer lawyers responsible for reviewing the character and fitness of applicants, maintaining the court’s Code of Professional Responsibility and upholding the ethics of the profession of law.
In addition to his leadership role within the court, Mike has been deeply involved in premier legal organizations, including the American Association of Justice, Maryland Association of Justice and the Trial Lawyers Association for the District of Columbia. He is routinely asked to give presentations before these groups, and participates in their various education-related committees, which continually strengthens his ability to help protect his clients’ and achieve justice on their behalf.
- Claims Against the Government (Federal Tort Claims Act- FTCA)
- Commercial Litigation
- Medical Malpractice Claims
- Personal Injury
- Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, District of Columbia, 1989, J.D.
- St. Anselm College, 1986, B.A., Honors: Summa Cum Laude
BAR AND COURT ADMISSIONS
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
HONORS & AWARDS
- Montgomery County Bar Association Chairman of the Year, 2007 (Personal Injury Section Chair)
- Super Lawyers, Maryland 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (Medical Malpractice)
- Super Lawyers, District of Columbia 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (Medical Malpractice)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated Preeminent (Highest Possible Rating in Both Legal Ability and Ethical Standards)
- AVVO: Superb Rating
- Past Chairman, Medical Malpractice and Personal Injury Department
- Shulman Rogers, Board of Directors 2011 – Present
- Shulman Rogers, Mergers and Laterals Committee
- Brain Injured infants and adults
- Wrongful Death
- Federal Tort Claims Act
- Military Claims Act
- Consumer Protection
- Commercial Litigation
- Corporate Clients
- Automobile Dealerships
- Shulman Rogers’ Mike Nakamura Secures $5M for Birth Injury Victim and Family
- Shulman Rogers Has Sixteen Attorneys Named to the 2013 Maryland Super Lawyers Listing
- Twenty-three Shulman Rogers Attorneys Recognized in The American Lawyer’s “Top Rated Lawyers” Series
- Sixteen Shulman Rogers Attorneys Named to the 2012 Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers Listing
- Working with the State’s Attorney in Your Personal Injury Cases: A Discussion with John McCarthy and Mark Anderson – September 16, 2015
- The Office of Consumer Protection IS a Civil Attorney’s Friend – May 5, 2015
- What’s New in Mediation and Arbitration – January 10, 2013
- Clients of Diminished Capacity and Potential for Abuse – November 5, 2009
SEMINARS & SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Speaker and Moderator, Trial Lawyer’s Association for the District of Columbia
- Speaker, Bar Association of Montgomery County, Maryland
- Speaker, Asian-Pacific American Bar Association
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY AFFILIATIONS
- Board of Directors, Rock and Roll Foundation for Children, non-profit organization directly benefiting the Children’s Inn for The National Institute of Health, Bethesda, MD
- Seventh Appellate Circuit, Court of Appeals of Maryland, Character Committee
- Bar Association of Montgomery County, Maryland, Member, Personal Injury Section, Past Chair, 1997 – 2007
- Trial Lawyers’ Association for the District of Columbia, Member, Education Committee, 1998-2003, 2007- 2014
- Bar Association of Montgomery County, Maryland, Past member, Judicial Selections Committee
- American Association of Justice, Member, Motor Vehicle Negligence Section, Professional Negligence Section
- Maryland Association for Justice, Member