Hong Suk Paul Chung
Paul Chung has been practicing in Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia for over 20 years. During that time, he has successfully represented individuals and entities in a variety of cases, focusing especially on medical malpractice, personal injury and criminal defense.
MEDICAL MALPRACTICE AND PERSONAL INJURY
Paul Chung successfully represents individuals who have been seriously injured or families who have lost a loved one as a result of someone else’s negligence. With compassion and confidence, he deftly navigates his clients through the legal maze to an outcome designed to mitigate their pain and suffering and maximize recoveries for families in need. The fact that many of Paul’s clients are referred to him by his former clients and other attorneys is a resounding testament to his ability to affect successful outcomes on their behalf.
Paul has been involved in a wide variety of medical negligence cases against physicians, hospitals, nursing homes and other health care providers. He also handles catastrophic injury and wrongful death litigation, as well as claims arising under the Federal Tort Claims Act and Military Claims Act. Paul has extensive experience in the trial courts of Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia. More recently, Paul has been involved in several significant cases, including:
- Reaching a high six-figure settlement before filing suit on behalf of a young woman who was unjustly diagnosed with cancer, causing her to have unnecessary surgery which left her with a permanent injury;
- Negotiating and reaching a multi-million dollar settlement on behalf of a young man and his family shortly before trial;
- Resolving a medical malpractice claim against a health care provider in the District of Columbia in which a husband and father died as a result of the negligence of the health care provider;
- Reaching a settlement on behalf of the children of an elderly mother who died as a result of the negligence of a dentist.
CRIMINAL DEFENSE AND OTHER LITIGATION
In addition to medical malpractice and personal injury cases, Paul’s practice also encompasses a variety of criminal defense and other litigation matters. Prior to joining Shulman Rogers, he served as an Assistant State’s Attorney for Prince George’s County, Maryland where he prosecuted hundreds of criminal cases before the District Court and the Circuit Court for Prince George’s County. Since joining Shulman Rogers, Paul has represented individuals and entities charged with misdemeanors, including DUI/DWIs, jailable motor vehicle violations, misdemeanor assault, theft and possession of controlled dangerous substances, and serious felonies, including homicide or manslaughter by motor vehicle, sex offenses and felony assault, in State and Federal Courts in Maryland and the District of Columbia. Paul’s familiarity and capabilities with the criminal procedure and process have been invaluable to his clients.
Paul is often called upon to represent individuals in pursuing or defending domestic protective orders and peace orders. He has also represented students at various levels in disciplinary matters.
Paul attended public schools in Maryland and graduated from the University of Maryland, College Park in 1992. He attended Temple University School of Law, where he was a member of the International and Comparative Law Journal, obtaining his Juris Doctor degree in 1996. While in law school, he had the unique opportunity to work as a Summer Associate for a Korean-based law firm in Seoul, Korea. He is fluent in Korean.
Previously, Paul served on the Trial Courts Judicial Nominating Commission for District 11 – Montgomery County, having been appointed by then Gov. Martin O’Malley. He previously served as the Co-Chair of the Personal Injury Litigation Section of the Bar Association of Montgomery County and served on the BAMC Executive Committee.
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Federal Tort Claims Act
- Civil Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Criminal Defense
- Student Disciplinary Defense
- Temple University School of Law, J.D.,1996
- University of Maryland, B.A., 1992
BAR & COURT ADMISSIONS
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Bar Association of Montgomery County
- Alexis Peters, Paul Chung and Matthew Alegi named as Montgomery County Bar Foundation Bar Leaders
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY AFFILIATIONS
- Executive Committee, BAMC (2016-2018)
- Trial Courts Judicial Nominating Commission District 11 – Montgomery County (2010-2015)
- Co-Chair, Personal Injury Section, Bar Association of Montgomery County, Maryland (2007-2016)
- Montgomery County Bar Foundation, Bar Leader
- Asian-Pacific American Bar Association, Board Member
- Asian American Bar Committee, Maryland State Bar Association, Member
- Montgomery County Bar Foundation, Diversity Pipeline Scholars Program, Member
- Korean American Bar Association of District of Columbia, Member