Roxanne L. Ward
Roxanne Ward has found her true calling representing victims of medical malpractice, birth injury, wrongful death, prescription errors and nursing home negligence and abuse. She dedicates the time to truly get to know her clients and advocates for each one as if they were a member of her own family. Roxanne has recovered millions of dollars for her clients through her tenacity, determination, perseverance and the personal approach she brings to each case.
Clients regularly comment on the compassion that Roxanne shows to families she represents, coupled with the fierce advocacy she brings to the courtroom. “Roxanne represented my three children and me in a medical malpractice case regarding the death of my husband. She attended my husband’s funeral, and thereafter, she was a very strong advocate for our family. She developed our case very thoroughly, and through her hard work and determination, she was able to resolve our case for a substantial amount of money. We will be forever grateful to her.”
Working in the medical malpractice field since 1990, Roxanne began as a paralegal and then as a claims/risk management consultant while pursuing her Juris Doctor. Following graduation from law school, she worked for 11 years defending doctors and hospitals. In 2008, a medical tragedy struck Roxanne’s family, as her beloved father died as a result of the negligence of his surgeon. Her father’s death due to medical negligence led Roxanne to reassess her career. She found that, personally, she could not continue as a defense attorney. Instead, she made the decision to begin representing victims of medical malpractice and seek justice for them and their families.
Using the arsenal of tools she accumulated on the defense side, she serves as a fierce champion for those whose lives have been changed forever as a result of medical negligence. Her defense background provides her with a keen understanding of how defense attorneys examine cases, what their likely strategies will be, and the theories and knowledge of defense experts.
In any representation, Roxanne’s first pivotal step is to think like a defense attorney and process the information from that perspective. Considering the facts and evidence from the other side enables her to build the best possible case for her clients. Roxanne often successfully settles cases without the need to go to court, alleviating victims and their families from the time and emotional burden of a trial. When cases do proceed to trial, she zealously presents to the judge and jury. Roxanne knows her way around the courtroom and is meticulously prepared when going to trial. She has achieved successful settlements in Baltimore City, Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties, and other jurisdictions throughout Maryland and Washington, D.C. Her legal acumen has won her recognition from Super Lawyers and an AV Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell. She is recognized by The Trial Lawyers Association as one the of Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Maryland.
Each case is thoroughly investigated, including an in-person free initial consultation, a complete review of the medical records and medical literature, and close examinations from specially trained expert witnesses. Clients are regularly updated on the status of their case, and Roxanne is always available to answer any questions or to address any concerns.
One client notes, “Roxanne met with us regularly at our home and gave us a thorough explanation of the malpractice process. At the same time, she was very compassionate, and in our minds, she became part of our family. She truly cared about us and checked in regularly to update us on the status of our case and to ask how we were doing. I don’t think that we could have made it through this painful process without Roxanne by our side.”
- Recovered $4.3 million in case involving improper management of labor and delivery resulting in severe Cerebral Palsy
- Recovered $900,000 for victim suffering foot drop and nerve damage following hip replacement surgery
- Recovered $675,000 after failure to timely diagnose and treat small bowel obstruction resulting in profound septic shock in 53-year-old female
- Recovered $600,000 in death of 58-year-old man from medication errors causing intracerebral hemorrhage
- Recovered $500,000 in death of an infant from failure to timely diagnose and treat heart defect
- Recovered $500,000 for family of victim of emergency room death resulting from failure to administer appropriate medications
- Recovered $440,000 for family of victim of emergency room death resulting from failure to diagnose and treat an abdominal aortic aneurysm
- Recovered $750,000 for family of 53-year-old man who died as a result of failure to diagnose a heart attack
- Recovered $625,000 in case involving failure to timely diagnose and treat an infection in a young woman
- Recovered $800,000 for family of a woman who presented to an emergency room with clear signs of a stroke; the emergency room sent her home and she died several hours later
- Medical Malpractice
- Birth Injury
- Personal Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Nursing Home Negligence
- Nursing Home Abuse
- Pharmaceutical Negligence
- University of Baltimore School of Law, J.D.
- University of Baltimore, B.S. in Criminal Justice
BAR & COURT ADMISSIONS
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
HONORS & AWARDS
- Super Lawyers Maryland, 2010, 2012-2013, 2016-2019
- AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Maryland, The Trial Lawyers Association
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY AFFILIATIONS
- Maryland State Bar Association, Member
- Baltimore City Bar Association, Member
- Maryland Association for Justice (MAJ), Member
- American Association for Justice (AAJ), Member